Here are some fun facts about Labor Day:
- Labor Day is considered the unofficial end of summer.
- The first Labor Day holiday was celebrated on Tuesday, September 5, 1882, in New York City in Union Square.
- The first state that officially declared Labor Day a holiday was Oregon back in 1887.
- Labor Day is said to be the third most popular day in the United States for grilling.
- The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council say between Memorial Day and Labor Day Americans will eat 7 billion hot dogs.
- The tradition of not being allowed to wear white after Day originated in the Victorian era where it was considered unfashionable to wear white after the end of summer.